[NTLK] Happiness

From: Mietek (mietek_at_icpnet.pl)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 23:05:27 EDT

    Hello all,

    Finally, as of today, I'm a proud owner of a Newton 2000U... =] My
first impression, a bit unoriginal perhaps - "OMFG it's *HUGE*!" Even
reading this list for a few months didn't prepare me, however, it might
be just the panzerleather case that made the Newt look fat. ;]

    I got my Newt from GEM Enterprises - a few months ago, not now. (The
delay was due to personal delivery of the package - my good uncle - I
didn't want to risk overseas shipping, remembering the horror stories.)
The whole package - Newt, keyboard, charger, dongle, Hayes Optima 33.6
modem, Pretec 32MB card - is looking brand-new - the dongle was even
still factory-sealed. The Newt is very slightly worn on the corners, and
has a bit broken off at the stylus silo entry - but the screen is
scratchless, and backlight seems to be bright - however, I can't compare
it to any other Newton, as my collection consists of only one item. :]
    Is it possible to somehow repair that broken off bit? The problem
seems to be quite common, right?

    GEM did not provide any cables, though - and they promised both a Mac
and PC cable. I'll probably contact them about it, but I had an old
LocalTalk lying around, and already got Ethernet working, using the 3Com
Megahertz 3CXE589ET X-Jacked card.

    Also, there weren't any charger plug adapters in the package. Does
anyone have a spare European-style charger plug lying around? It's not
really a big deal - but I can only find whole bricky voltage adapters here.

    Now, about the screen --
    Is it possible to do something about the glare? I'm considering the
NuShields, for their KlearScreen bonus wipes as well, but I wonder if
they'll help at all.
    I was initially afraid that my stylus had something stuck in the tip,
because it seemed I was scratching the screen even with the slighest
touch. However, these phantom scratches easily disappear after wiping
with a cloth. Is this normal?

    Thanks,