[NTLK] Jaggies fixed!!!! (maybe...)

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 14:13:05 EST

For anybody who isn't sick to death of my "jaggies" e-mails yet,

I think I FINALLY cured my jaggies! I don't want to jinx myself by=20
declaring victory too early, but a half-a-day of solid testing has yet to=20
show a single jag, zigzag, lightning bolt, or tap-recognized-an-inch-away.

What I did is bought a Caig Laboratories DeOxit pen=20
<http://www.caig.com/descript/deoxit.htm> for $10 at my local Fry's=20
Electronics. How did I find this baby? Well, Marco Mailand had previously=20
suggested I try to clean the touchscreen contacts with a "very fine glass=20
fiber brush". Not having any idea where to find one, I went off on Google.=
=20
I found that there are contact cleaning pens sold in photo shops for=20
cleaning camera batteries (going by such names as "Battery Saver" and=20
"Power Pen"). These combine a glass fiber brush with a corrosion-inhibiting=
=20
fluid. Sounded promising.

So off I went searching for an open photo shop nearby. Being 6PM though,=20
nobody around my office was open. So I thought I'd try going to Fry's since=
=20
I knew they carried cameras and photo accessories.

Before I found that deparment though, I wound up in the "electrical=20
components" aisle, where lo and behold, I found the DeOxit. The description=
=20
sounded like exactly what I needed (though it doesn't say "glass fiber=20
brush" on it anywhere) so I I took a chance. Never did find anything in the=
=20
camera section.

So home I go, open the Newt, clean the contacts with the DeOxit,=20
reassemble, et, voil=E1! =E7a marche!

I'll keep at it and hope this is a permanent cure. If I discover anything=
=20
else interesting, I will certainly let the group know.

Now, if I could only find a replacement battery spring for the one I=20
stupidly lost! Please let me know if anyone has leads on one, or perhaps a=
=20
nonworking 2x00 someone wants to sell for parts.

A thousand thanks to everyone who gave suggestions.

-Jeremy