[NTLK] Build your own Newton?

From: eric engle (engleerica_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 10:24:55 EDT

This is a point I tried to make earlier:
That the entire NOS is so freely available and
represents a sunk cost to apple that apple would
probably tolerate a newton clone provided they got
something out of it.

Financially speaking the newton was disastrous. I have
not bothered to look at the specific figures but it
was never profitable and at best broke even.

Technically speaking the biggest difficulty in
building a newton clone would be the voyager chip set
and getting the schematic diagrams. I have mentioned
this idea to both David Humphreys and Frank Gruendel,
both of whom pointed out the costs of the specialized
machinery required to build the circuit boards.

I have not calculated the costs or set up a business
plan to build a newton clone but think it would be
possible.

In terms of copyright, currently, apple freely makes
their newton os available. They could choose to change
that tomorrow if the wish.

Basically copying the OS into either a newton or palm
clone is just like any other issue of copying software
- i.e. do you have a license? The current apple
license for their discontinued ware is broad enough -
but since it is _gratuitous they could change their
policy tomorrow.

The most sensible plan would be to have linux as an
alternative / backup os in case apple decided to kill
the free availability of NTK and the NOS. Mind you by
offering apple free advertizing, goodwill and stock
options they might be talked into tolerating it. Rumor
has it though that they wanted 100 million to purchase
Newton Inc.

Basically apple was too greedy - but who can blame
them for not wanting to maintain a product which was,
at best, break even.

From: Mark Rollins <mark_at_mrollins.com>
Subject: [NTLK] different PDA approach

>>Slightly off-topic. I received a SPAM for a PDA that
is
Palm-compatible,
but it appears (to avoid licensing fees) you have to
flash the PalmOS
into the unit after you buy it!

>>http://www.gtownebook.com/

>>That's certainly one for the copyright lawyers, it
can run the PalmOS,
but it's not a licensee.

Being able to run an OS is not itself a breach of
copyright. The breach happens when it is flashed in.
Not the case with the newt though - the license is
clearly gratuitous - but open.

>>I suppose this makes the (remote, like
Guinness
in hell) possibility of a Newton OS 2.1 clone viable,
if it was sold
without an OS, and someone (P Guyot, S Weyer?) making
an app to "slurp"
out the NewtonOS?

Yes. My point exactly. There is far too much sunken
costs for the newt to be ignored as a hobby business
opportunity: it will never be profitable but would be
break even.

=====
My Web sites:
http://www.geocities.com/engleerica/ (personal)