Re: [NTLK] Build your own Newton?

From: Apostolos Koutropoulos (admiralak_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 12:09:25 EDT

If one wanted to see a new newton (clone or not)
what would the "features" of the OS and of the hardware be
?

I have a few ideas floating in my head.

As for the "apple was to greedy part" I doubt it.
Have you seen the lastest technologes from compaq ?

Top of the line iPaq handhelds cost about
$650-800(depending on where you buy them from, I actually
saw a place that sold it for $999). I dont think that
apple was greedy, its just that technology costs,
innovation and R&D costs and apple needed to pay those off
somehow, all companies do. Just that back then a newton
2100 would could $1200 or so just because it was a brand
spanking new piece of technology which was high end as
well. Not like the original palm pilots.

In any case, if a new newton were to be made this is what I
would like:
Hardware:
1) Color screen, TFT, 65k colors, the same size as the 2100
screen, viewable in portrait or landscape as the newton is
now
2) Complete bluetooth and IrDA (for interaction with other
devices)
3) 2 PCMCIA slots as well as a CF slot (SD seems too small
of a medium but if you want one go ahead have one.)
4)Rechargable "laptop style" battery type, removable too,
just like the one in the Newton 2100.
5)USB & Firewire connectivity
6) Always need to have a screen protector!
7) Stereo speaker and line in/line out as well for
recording and headphones
8) Built in microphone
9) 64MB built in ROM, 128MB built in RAM.
10) Small/slim enough to fin in a pocket (or at least a
medium sized raincoat pocket)

Software wise "wishes":
Newton OS 3.0 (in color) with
* Improved Rosetta for english and non-roman input (I love
the ewnton HWR :D)
* Voice recognition
* Standard PIM functions.
* Better manager for removable devices ;)
* Improved control panels
* Quicktime for newton (mov, avi, mpg1, mpg2, mp3)/and an
Mp3 juke box of a sort
* Built in image editor (so you can get images off digital
cameras)
* Internet setup in control panels as well (support for
IrDA and Blutooth connections with mobile phones)
* Improved note taker (with stuff like graph paper built
in)
* Built in HTML/WAP browser (opera maybe?)
* Built in system wide email client so you can send any
document from anywhere (like simple mail)but also have a
client as well with the standard inbox/outbox.

thats all that comes to mind now :p
Am I asking for too much ?
Oh well its just a wish ;)

AK