Re: [NTLK] Good news update re MP2000 DIN-9 connector (and a question)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 10:05:17 EDT

on 10/16/01 11:22 PM, Adam Warner at lists_at_consulting.net.nz wrote:
[snip!]
> Now the question (I won't perform this until I have the dongle because I
> may have no way to upload NIE2.0 using the MP130 as an intermediary):
>
> If I wipe the Newton clean are there any packages that I may not be able
> to restore to the factory default? In particular I don't want to lose
> Netwon Works.
>
> I know the Newton Works packages can be downloaded from here:
> http://www.unna.org/unna/applications/NewtonWorks/
>
> Which packages should I upload? I currently have (looking at the
> WorksWrite info) Version 1.01 (c) 1997 SBI Holdings Limited. Is this the
> latest version available?
>
> What is newtdraw.pkg? Do I upload newtwork.pkg & wcalc.pkg from this
> base directory or do I upload it from one of the subdirectories such as
> qfw101 or qfworks101?

It's easy to determine which packages will be deleted if you do a hard reset
(brain wipe, whatever). Open Extras. Tap the overview dot. All packages in
the list that are not reported as "built-in" will be deleted if you do a
hard reset.

When you upload, most packages know where they need to go, so you don't have
to worry about NewtonWorks and any of its extension packages being filed in
the wrong directory. Besides, you can always file something to a different
directory after installation.

-Laurent.

elephantine adj.: Used of programs or systems that are both conspicuous hogs
(owing perhaps to poor design founded on brute force and ignorance) and
exceedingly hairy in source form. An elephantine program may be functional
and even friendly, but (as in the old joke about being in bed with an
elephant) it's tough to have around all the same (and, like a pachyderm,
difficult to maintain). In extreme cases, hackers have been known to make
trumpeting sounds or perform expressive proboscatory mime at the mention of
the offending program. Usage: semi-humorous. Compare `has the elephant
nature' and the somewhat more pejorative monstrosity. See also second-system
effect and baroque.