Re: [NTLK] Serial Dongle for MP2000

From: SlashDevNull (SlashDevNull_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 01:34:40 EDT

Hello,

  Don't curse Apple. The NIC (where the dongle plugs in) is a good design
if not a little fragile. Just imagine how silly (and how much larger) the
Newton would have to be if all of the connectors were located on the Newton
itself.

  You can get a supported PCMCIA Ethernet card ( go to www.chuma.org for
wonderful detailed instructions ) and connect to NCU over Appletalk. Even
works on OS X, which I am using.

  The serial dongles are EASY to get. Just go to eBay. I went ahead an
bought 2 new ones even though I already have 2. ( I don't like to run out
of anything ) They are relatively cheap @ $15 - $25 each.

  Ironically, since I got a SER-001 I don't use the dongles for anything!
:)

  If I were you, I would go to eBay, buy a couple to save on shipping and
have the seller 2 or 3 day air them out to you.

David