[NTLK] Serial Dongle for MP2000

From: Adam Warner (lists_at_consulting.net.nz)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 01:21:09 EDT

Hi all,

I know a lot about the MP130 after having and enjoying one for a while.

Today I was fortunate to be able to purchase a MP2000 from a second hand
store. It came with cables, keyboard, power adapter and a nice leather
carry case. All up very nice.

Apart from one thing.

That makes me want to curse Apple for such a stupid design decision.

And you can guess what it is.

I can't plug the cables or the keyboard into the Newton. I'm not
kidding, there is absolutely no socket to plug them into. I can't use
the cable I specially wired for my MP130 to connect the MP2000 to my PC
either.

The connector turns out to be some odd design that I have never seen
before (it looks a bit like a D-shaped PCMCIA adapter).

So what are my options? I'm in Auckland, New Zealand.

Could I a get a PCMCIA modem or network card that would substitute for
the missing dongle? Would it still work if I completely reset the Newton
and wanted to load all existing packages back on?

Thanks for your help. I tried both a Dynalink PCMCIA 56k Modem and a
10/100MBit network card in an electronics store today and the Newton
just said the card was not recognised. Drivers won't be any use because
I have no way to upload them.*

Regards,
Adam

*Perhaps there is one way: Use infrared from my MP130?