Re: [NTLK] Ethernet on 130????

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 12:53:21 EDT

at the temporal coordinates: 10/12/01 12:45 PM, the entity known as Victor
Rehorst at victor_at_newtontalk.net conveyed the following:

>> Wait! What? Ethernet on a 130? Is this possible?
>> I always assumed Ethernet wasn't possible on a MP1x0. Apparently, Paul G.
>> is of the same opinion. And he's our miracle-worker. But maybe there's a
>
> No! Down boy! No Ethernet for 2.0 devices for you!
>
> Seriously though, no, it's not possible. It requires NIE 2.0 which
> requires NOS 2.1.

Which sorta makes on wonder if the portions of NIE 2.0 that support ethernet
actually require routines only available in NOS 2.1, or if a sort of NIE
1.x+ could be made to work. (Not that Apple's gonna release NIE source...)
But perhaps if NIE 1.x could be 'fooled' into thinking ethernet is just a
really fast modem???

[Easy for me to say, I'm not a Newt programmer. :-) ]

- Eric.