[NTLK] Apple won't fix my Newton!!!

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 10:51:01 EST

> Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:53:21 -0500
> Subject: [NTLK] Apple won't fix my Newton!!!
> From: Loren Finkelstein <Loren_at_Finkelstein.Net>
>

> Ok, you all might remember that a week or 2 ago I sent my upgraded MP2K in
> to Apple for a $180 overhaul, after having dropped it and cracked the frame
> (It still worked though).
>
> I just got a message on my answering machine from them. Essentially they
> said that my Newton is "beyond economical repair." It has a lot of broken
> components and would pretty much need to be replaced and/or rebuilt from
> scratch?

Great, isn't that just the reason why you sent it in anyway, because you
could not repair it yourself anymore?
IFAIR there is this *one* charge to cover *any* given repair.
A charge like that excludes the existance of "beyond economical", at least
to me.
If the unit still works "beyond repair" is not given anyway.
You should insist on them repairing it.

> So, they are just shipping it back to me, still broken!!!

If they refuse to repair it at all, maybe you should consider taking it back
and sending it in again, after a week or so. Sounds a bit stupid, but I
guess there is more then one person doing this job at Apple...

Just one more message reminding me to save up for a backup-unit... :/

Oliver

--
Instructions: open packet, eat nuts.