[NTLK] Newton Backup to OSX without Classic ?

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 08:35:19 EST

Hi.

I have only recently started to use my MP2K again and meanwhile a few
things have changed ...

I now have everything OSX and I absolutely hate the so called Classic
environment, because it is giving me too much trouble. Also, I have no
wish to ever again boot the legacy MacOS and I don't suppose I have to
tell you what I think of Windoze ...

Anyway, I got NewtFTP on my MP2K and a LAN card and I praise Tactile for
this marvellous piece of software! So, using ftp I am pretty well
covered with ...

- download and installation of Newton packages
- download/upload plain text and import/export into/from Notes
- download documents and import/export them into/from NewtWorks
- upload documents in plain text format from any routable Newton
application

what I lack with this arrangement is backup/restore of the system and
storage items and that worries me.

I know there is a backup software form a German company for backup onto
memory cards, but those cards appear pretty difficult to obtain these
days and ATA support isn't yet declared stable enough to rely on it for
backup.

So, is there anything through which I can do a full system backup using
standard TCP/IP protocols ? Something that allows me to stay away from
Windoze or legacy-MacOS ?

Any hints or ideas appreciated.

thanks in advance
kind regards