Re: [NTLK] Newton Backup to OSX without Classic ?

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 09:22:57 EST

>On 11/26/01 @ 10:35 PM, BK wrote:
>
>I have only recently started to use my MP2K again and meanwhile a few
>things have changed ...
>
>I now have everything OSX and I absolutely hate the so called Classic
>environment, because it is giving me too much trouble. Also, I have no
>wish to ever again boot the legacy MacOS and I don't suppose I have to
>tell you what I think of Windoze ...
>
>< snip >
>
>I know there is a backup software form a German company for backup onto
>memory cards, but those cards appear pretty difficult to obtain these
>days and ATA support isn't yet declared stable enough to rely on it for
>backup.
>
>So, is there anything through which I can do a full system backup using
>standard TCP/IP protocols ? Something that allows me to stay away from
>Windoze or legacy-MacOS ?

Here is an out of the box solution for you to consider...

I understand that you hate to use the legacy MacOS due to the problems
that you are having.

However, what you might consider, is getting an old Mac and using it only
for backing up your Newt. The cost would be minimal.

You can get an old PowerBook 170, for about $10-$20, that would let you
backup via serial. And since all you would have on the PowerBook, is the
OS and the NBU it should run smoothly.

If you need Ethernet speed, then you could get a more modern Mac that
supports Ethernet directly or via a PCI card.

Another more expensive option is that you could get an early iMac model.
There is an serial port adapter that you can add for about $50. I forget
the company off the top of my head, but if you are interested I can look
it up.

Hopefully one of these ideas will help.

Sushi