Re: [NTLK] New Appletalk zone has zapped me

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 14:44:40 EST

R:

>Entirely possible that my information is somewhat outdated -- my
>AppleTalk networking experience is rooted firmly in 1992-1995, during
>the System 6 -> System 7 transition. The PowerMacs were just coming
>out, and "Copeland" and "Gershwin" were still believable ideas. After
>that, I moved on to another, larger company, where the AppleTalk was
>kept isolated off on a different segment, and I was mostly in the IP
>world at that point.
>
>So, in the interim, it's completely feasible that Apple scaled back the
>chattiness.

    I did some historical reading, and I think somewhere toward the
end of the time frame you mention was when there were some major
changes made.

>60 seconds is a lot better, but still would only scale to
>80-100 machines before you start running into collision problems again.

    True, but this would only be for machines acting as servers. If
you have 80-100 machines all sharing files, it's probably time to
rethink the setup :)

>I'll see if I can find a link to the UI/design documents that specified
>that the Chooser needed to show all resources within 5 seconds that was
>part of the original AppleTalk / LocalTalk design spec.
>
>Trust me, though, I'm not pulling that whole rant out of thin air.
>(*grin)

    I'm sure you didn't. Sorry, I'm a little sensitive on this topic
since a lot of places still use the "chatty" argument as a
justification for not letting Macs onto a network. It becomes even
more stupid when the Macs won't even be running AppleTalk, but TCP/IP.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer
      System Support Products, Inc.