Re: [NTLK] New Appletalk zone has zapped me

From: R Pickett (emerson_at_hayseed.net)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 01:42:59 EST

On Wed, 2001-11-07 at 20:24, Lou Forlini wrote:

> I don't know where you got that information. I have 3 Macs and 2
> printers on my Ethernet network, all 3 Macs have AppleTalk turned on.
> The only activity that goes across my network is when the machines
> first boot up (or printers turn on), when the Chooser is open, or if
> one of the machines has file sharing enabled. With file sharing
> enabled, then I get a short broadcast every 60 seconds, otherwise
> it's dead silent. The Macs are running 7.6.1, 8.6, and occasionally
> 10.1. Hardly the definition of "chatty".

Entirely possible that my information is somewhat outdated -- my
AppleTalk networking experience is rooted firmly in 1992-1995, during
the System 6 -> System 7 transition. The PowerMacs were just coming
out, and "Copeland" and "Gershwin" were still believable ideas. After
that, I moved on to another, larger company, where the AppleTalk was
kept isolated off on a different segment, and I was mostly in the IP
world at that point.

So, in the interim, it's completely feasible that Apple scaled back the
chattiness. 60 seconds is a lot better, but still would only scale to
80-100 machines before you start running into collision problems again.
I'll see if I can find a link to the UI/design documents that specified
that the Chooser needed to show all resources within 5 seconds that was
part of the original AppleTalk / LocalTalk design spec.

Trust me, though, I'm not pulling that whole rant out of thin air.
(*grin)

--
R Pickett           The people that once bestowed commands, consulships,
Hayseed Networks    legions, and all else, now meddles no more and longs