Re: [NTLK] New Appletalk zone has zapped me

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 04:46:53 EST

> ... I tap on that, close the slip (um, should
> the slip close automatically? It doesn't.), and another attempt is made
> to connect...which times out. And it turns out the Newton still shows the
> old zone.
> Repeat until crazed.
One problem of the Newton and Macintoshes in very large networks is
timing-out because of time lag due to network load. I have a similar problem
with a Mac and a Newton not seeing each other if the network has a high
load. This might have become worse in your case because you obviously have
to go now thru a longer network path due to the zone changes. I was lucky to
find the wanted printer late in the evening where most people left and the
network load was much smaller. I was able to change the zone and select this
printer and from that moment it was always accessible quite fast, also
during the day. Until they (the Windoze-addicted IT guys) decided to disable
AppleTalk in the printers :-(((

I found also that some of the error -1 are caused by time lag in the network
since I go thru a hub only at home. As soon as I've switched off all other
computers the backup works.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing