Re: [NTLK] Platform crap...

From: The Compulsive Splicer (splicer_at_paroxysm.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 00:44:41 EST

For what it's worth, the Quadra had its hard drives hanging off the
Nubus (is that right?) while the Pentium-90 had its hard drives on a PCI
SCSI adapter. In those days, 32MB was a lot of RAM, even for a graphics
workstation, so for print-resolution images, you're talking about a lot
of hard drive access for virtual memory. Use slow technologies to
control your hard drives and you're out of the running.

As far as the stability of the OS, OS/2 is/was/whatever more stable than
*any* version of MacOS with the exception of OS X. That's not an
opinion, that's a fact. Never mind that in those days, running Photoshop
filters was a time-intensive process, and having an OS that would
actually multitask was magical.

The Quadras across the way in the prepress shop were totally flaky, too.
I'd restart each of those machines several times in a shift. Even the G3
I ran at my last job couldn't be relied upon like you should be able to
rely on a computer. Of course, I wouildn't and didn't recommend
replacing it with any other kind of computer.

The point is just that for every time someone throws an OS-based blanket
statement at me, I get mad. There's a whole lot of stuff that I can't do
with a Mac. OS X has helped that situation tremendously, but it's still
a situation where there is no one single computer that's best for all
purposes, and such discussions are inflammatory, useless, and
potentially insulting.

I've tried not to bait Mac users here. I like Macs, and I use Macs.
Sometimes more often, sometimes less. Depends on a lot of things. I am
not a Mac hater. I am likewise not a member of the cult of the Mac, and
I don't particularly like being labeled as a dilettante for it.

I had a job interview where the interviewer looked at my portfolio
first, seemed to like what was in it, and then looked at my resume
second. The resume listed (then, in 1992) ten years experience using
DOS-based computers and eight years experience using Mac-based
computers. Her face fell, and she told me point-blank: "We're looking
for a Mac person."

May sound like sour grapes, but I don't want to work for anyone who is
that much of an idiot.

(Yes, I have considered the possibility that she hated my portfolio but
considered it impolite to say and looked for another excuse. I don't
think that possibility flatters the interviewer though.)

Steve