Re: [NTLK] MessagePad vs ThinkPad

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 22:31:01 EST

At 7:50 PM -0500 11/2/01, SlashDevNull wrote:
>> At 02:51 03.11.01 +0900, you wrote:
>> Funny, yesterday the very last Mac user from our ex 160+ Apple user
>> group founded 1980
>> changed his mind after comparing Quark/PS/ running on his G4 under OX 10.1
>> and on a XP/Linux/BeOS running Athlon based PC
>>
>> But the number of Newton users in the group is still growing ;-)
>
> Sure, he may think those apps run faster under XP.
>
> But wait until...
> He needs up upgrade the hard drive...
> and then the memory
> He need to re-install the OS in six months
> He has a problem and microsoft sends him to AMD and AMD sends him to
>Adobe and Adobe sends him to microsoft for help.
> Blue Screens abound
> The registry corrupts
> Someone steals all his Passport information from a Hotmail email (late
>breaking news)
> His machine gets infected with the virus de jour
> He starts paying a yearly update fee for Office...
> and then XP
> He turns on IIS for a webserver and gets hit with the exploit de jour
> He fires up Outlook and gets hit with the virus de jour...
> and then the exploit de jour
>

>He'll be back...
>And I'll be laughing the entire time.

    I'm laughing already. If this guy is using Photoshop and Quark to
do professional design and he bought a PC he's an idiot. Most of the
professional print shops around here have higher prices if you bring
in stuff that's been done on a PC, because of the never-ending
problems with fonts, illustrations, and color matching.

    Notice I said "professional", if you take your stuff to Kinko's
you're not in this lot. If he's just a wannabe designer, all he's
done is make sure that he remains a wannabe. Just like everything
else in the Windows world, from the Aqua OS X wannaba Windows XP all
the way up to the Steve Jobs wannabe Bill Gates.

    BTW slash, your list is absolutely right on. The *only* virus
I've ever gotten on any machine I've owned was on a VPC partition
that used M$ OE for mail.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer