Re: [NTLK] Assorted Questions

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 14:17:17 EST

on 11/2/01 2:03 PM, Jon Glass at jonglass_at_usa.net wrote:

> on 11/2/01 5:03 PM, Laurent Daudelin at laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com
> wrote:
>
>> I've read Jon's reply that he was never able to have those recognized. Maybe
>> they're not part of what the HWR can recognize. For my part, I am perfectly
>> able, using printed writing, to have any french accentuated characters
>> recognized.
>
> French language is built into the NOS, but Polish, unfortunately is not. I
> once looked into creating a Polish font on the Newton, but after reading
> about it, I decided I didn't need it that much. :-) I'm not sure the font
> would have been able to be recognized by the HWR anyway.

Hmmmm, no, the font has nothing to do with what the handwriting recognition
can recognize...

Sorry for the polish!

-Laurent.

fandango on core n.: [Unix/C hackers, from the Iberian dance] In C, a wild
pointer that runs out of bounds, causing a core dump, or corrupts the
malloc(3) arena in such a way as to cause mysterious failures later on, is
sometimes said to have `done a fandango on core'. On low-end personal
machines without an MMU (or Windows boxes, which have an MMU but use it
incompetently), this can corrupt the OS itself, causing massive lossage.
Other frenetic dances such as the cha-cha or the watusi, may be substituted.
See aliasing bug, precedence lossage, smash the stack, memory leak, memory
smash, overrun screw, core.