Re: [NTLK] USB to dongle. (was Smaller form factor for a newton

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 13:14:45 EST

on 11/1/01 4:59 AM, Pascal Mass=FCn at pascal.massun_at_skynet.be wrote:

> op 31-10-2001 14:00 schreef Laurent op newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net:
>=20
>> You won't find it anywhere, as it doesn't exist. The "dongle" was a spec=
ial=3D
>> ,
>> custom connector from Apple and never made it as a standard. Designing a=
nd
>> trying to sell an adapter based on it wouldn't have been very wise,
>> economically speaking...
>=20
> Thanks for the info Laurent.
>=20
> What are my options then ?
> I bought a Titanium and would like to perform all NCU operations from it.
> I still have to use my WindowsPC for that, but I'd like to convert
> completely to Apple. I know that ethernet is an option, the Titanium has =
it
> builtin. But then I'd have to buy a ethernet card for my newton and this =
I'm
> trying to omit. (both slots are already taken: memory and modemcard)

Well, if you don't want to go the "Ethernet" way, then there is only IrDA
remaining, like Ken suggested. However, Newton Connection Utilities doesn't
work over IrDA. You would have to use Thomas Tempelmann's "Newton Data
Browser" <http://www.tempel.org/newton/index.html#DILplugin>. You can
install packages and generally browse the "soup" data on your Newton, savin=
them on your Mac if you wish, but there isn't any automatic backup/restore
feature and no synchronization of any sort.

Other than that, there is only the Ethernet way with a Titanium. Naturally,
I could maybe convinced of trading my PowerBook G3 Series for your Titanium
if you really insist on making serial connections (that won't work under OS
X anyway). Let me know if this is something that could interest you (yeah,
sure! ;-)

-Laurent.
--=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com Washington, DC, USA
finger-pointing syndrome n.: All-too-frequent result of bugs, esp. in new o=
experimental configurations. The hardware vendor points a finger at the
software. The software vendor points a finger at the hardware. All the poor
users get is the finger.