[NTLK] Ed's guru status?

From: SlashDevNull (SlashDevNull_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 11:57:15 EST

> Ed
> web/gadget guru

Salutations,

Ed always signs his emails with the above.

How do we know he is a 'web/gadget guru'?

Did he have to go to school and pass a course?

And since there is a slash, he is saying that he is a 'web guru' AND a
'gadget guru'.

Does this mean that he had to pass a series or courses?

Or is he just saying this to try an impress us? With no certifications to
back up his claims.

Does anyone else think that we should require some proof for guru status?

And what would that proof be?

I propose that we, the newtontalk list, force Ed to either prove his 'guru'
status (if he can!!!) OR remove the 'guru' proclaim!

If we don't take a stand now, people will start proclaiming they are
'shamen', 'wizards', or 'governors'. When will this end?

I also propose that we set up a battery of tests and a rating system from
'idiot',at the low end, to 'Full wiz-bang Newtonite', at the top end.

As people pass these tests, they would be allowed to raise their rating and
everyone would have proof of this rating.

No more 'self-proclaiming' titles!

Rise up with me people and help me bring some type of order to this
multi-tiered system!

David

P.S. And I think I should automatically get 1 step above idiot, say
'bumbler' for thinking of the system. Everyone else starts as idiot.