Re: [NTLK] MessagePad vs ThinkPad

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 10:55:33 EST

on 11/1/01 12:48 AM, Scotty Technoir at mailrecipient_at_home.com wrote:

> i couldn't find an answer in the FAQ, nor via Dave arnold's IR-specific Faq,
> so i out it out to the community: Can NCU connect my MP2K to an IBM Thinkpad
> 390e?
> So far it seems it cannot. When i set the Thinkpad to listen on the IR port,
> and attempt to beam from the newt, the dingle-bells go off on the ThinkPad,
> telling me that it detects the beam. The newt, of course, informs me that
> there
> are no receivers detected. I tried setting Dock to IR connect, but still
> no go. On the thinkpad side, i try setting the COM port to the virtual COM
> 4,
> but NCU does not accept this as a proper or available port. has anyone got
> this
> to work? it seems to me that it has most likely come up before, but i only
> recently acquired the thinkpad, and i haven't read EVERY newtontalk message
> in my inbox [500+/week is alot of reading, no matter how eloquent you guys
> are...!]

AFAIK, nobody was ever able to make an IrDA connection from a NOS 2.1-based
Newton to an Wintel PC. I don't know why, however. I do know that the NOS
2.1-based Newton implement only the minimum required subset from the IrDA
official API, just so that they can tell they are IrDA compatible. So, is
this the reason of the problem? I don't know. I'm pretty sure that a good
programmer would be able, with the time and a bit of documentation, to make
the communication works between a Newton and an IrDA-equipped PC. Thomas
Tempelmann did write a Macintosh/Windows application in RealBASIC that was
able for the first time, on a Macintosh, to successfully talk to a Newton
using IrDA (even Newton Connection Utilities on the Macintosh is unable to
use IrDA!).

So, that's pretty much the sad state of IrDA communication with the Newton
right now, unfortunately...

-Laurent.

feeping creaturism /fee'ping kree`ch*r-izm/ n.: A deliberate spoonerism for
creeping featurism, meant to imply that the system or program in question
has become a misshapen creature of hacks. This term isn't really well
defined, but it sounds so neat that most hackers have said or heard it. It
is probably reinforced by an image of terminals prowling about in the dark
making their customary noises.