[NTLK] Factory Calibration

From: gopi_at_sin.sloth.org
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 12:35:11 PDT

Hi,

A friend's upgraded 2000 has become confused. After about two weeks of
persistent hibernation, with many varied attempts to bring it to life
(including no power for 24h, reset for a few minutes, for 20 seconds,
etc. etc etc.) it finally and miraculously turned back on today.

Now it says that it has lost its factory calibration, and to send it in to
be repaired. It also says that it won't charge batteries. Initially, it
complaiend about errors when switching folders in the extras drawer. After
a brain wipe, it no longer complains at all.

Given that Apple's "repair" center hasn't been able to close the case, put
in all the components, or solder the wires down, the idea of trying to
convince them to repair this for the fourth attempt is rather
unappetizing. It did get a new motherboard from them the first time, but
the kindergartners working on it (that's how their customer service person
described the actions when I detailed the problems) probably caused more
damage.

Anyway, is anybody aware of what precisely was factory calibrated, and
what I can do to fix this?

I want a working Newton. When I finish repairing it, I'll deal with suing
Apple in small claims curt to deal with the monetary losses.

Thanks for any advice,

gopi.