Re: [NTLK] Factory Calibration

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 13:01:37 PDT

>Hi,

Hi Gopi. Pleased to hear about you.

>Now it says that it has lost its factory calibration, and to send it in to
>be repaired. It also says that it won't charge batteries. Initially, it
>complaiend about errors when switching folders in the extras drawer. After
>a brain wipe, it no longer complains at all.

Two options:
a) The internal memory is just corrupted
b) It is dead

>Anyway, is anybody aware of what precisely was factory calibrated, and
>what I can do to fix this?

I think it's the screen (tablet) and the temperature. The calibration
information is in block 0 (with the system patch).
A method would be to get this information from a working Newton and
replace it by programming the internal memory directly. I'm not sure,
but I think there is a way to be in supervisor mode if this is ever
required provided that Hammer's plugged-in.

But beware. Getting this fixed is probably harder than the stoaway
keyboard if you see what I mean. Besides, if the internal flash chips
are dead, you'd better replace the unit (and no, don't replace them
with fresh ones, if the first boot block is invalid, the Newton won't
boot up (at least with the production ROM), believe me, it's the
reason why I had to send to units to Apple).

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/