Re: [NTLK] Ethernet

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 16:41:36 EDT

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> That seems a bit better, but I'm not sure it's the original developer
> package, since when you launch the installer, it says "Newton Internet
> Enabler 2.0 Developer Goodies". I've got the doc anyway, and it says
> that error -60088 is:

That is the only 2.0 NIE development-type package I've ever seen.

> "kInetToolErrDhcpReqFailed
> The dynamic host configuration protocol request failed."
>
> So, apparently, the ISP's DHCP server failed to reply to the Newton, for
> some reason. I'm wondering if that ISP might be using PPPoE, which is
> not implemented on the Newton...

Oh! That triggered some synapses in my brain :)

*Some* ISPs (like Rogers_at_Home in Canada, and probably other @Home
networks) require you to send a specific hostname in order to
"authenticate" in a way. I have to do thing with my Linux NAT/firewall
box that is on @Home. It should be that the DHCP server doesn't get the
hostname it expects, so it dumps the connection. I now recall that this
happened to someone before. Yeah.

Or, it could just be that the Newton's crappy DHCP client doesn't want to
play with whatever DHCP server is on the other end. (NIE 2.0's DHCP
client *is* really poor, if Paul Guyot was back from vacation he'd be able
to explain exactly why.)