[NTLK] MP21k via Ethernet card to the Mac ?

From: Stefan Hassenstein (list.SH_at_gmx.de)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 15:44:12 EDT

Hello Braintrust !

Plz excuse my lengthy plea for some help....

In my effort to connect the green thru the Mac to the Internet
i recently changed my way from using IPNetRouter - due to Victors suggestions -

and bought a 3Com Megahertz Model 3CXE 589 ET

Right before i downloaded the packages (internal store)
- FarallonEthernet.pkg
- 3ComAddon.pkg
- 3C589.pkg

also loaded NIE Ethernet,

Inserted into the lower slot i am greeted with a msg:

Megahertz 589E
Manufacturer: 3Com
TP/BNC Lan PC Card

there is a checkbox, asking for "Use card for Appletalk",
which i am checking.

My first aim is to build a connect to my Mac....

In the prefs (Newton) i konfigure the Appletalk section

- Connect using "Ethertalk"
- Using card "Megahertz 589E"

In the Dock module i am trying to

- connect thru "Appletalk"
- connect with "privat"
(which worked almost fine, when using the printerport on the Mac)

On the Mac
in Appletalk Control i switch to use "Ethernet"
in the NCU i check only "Appletalk"
(when asked to choose a Connection in the Prefs)

Now ......what happens ?
the Newton starts to build up a connection for bout 15 seconds.
Stops and says: "Your choosed Mac could not be found on the network"

Right now i am kind of desperate...
this situation is almost the same as
stated in the FAQ from Victor section 8.:

I´ve got a Mac and I am trying to connect the Newton to NCU via
Ethertalk but my Newton cannot find my computer....

any help ?

Stefan

--
Stefan Hassenstein - stef_at_orpheus.s.bawue.de