Re: [NTLK] [OT] Unlock code for NewtFTP ?

From: R Pickett (emerson_at_hayseed.net)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 06:24:13 EST

On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 01:49, Mark Rollins wrote:

> I just KNOW that somewhere on one of several Hotline Servers there's a
> collection of Newton hacks/cracks/unreleased stuff, which include
> something called "tactile.pkg" which registers Tactile products.
>
> Search on http://www.tracker-tracker.com/ for "Newton", file type
> Macintosh - it's about a 10 MB file called "newtonhacks.sit.hqx"

Well.

That's pretty cool to know, but in typical MacOS fashion, that
apparently requires having a proprietary Hotline or Carracho client to
access the proprietary servers that use proprietary protocols that are
reinventions of existing ones.

Which, apparently, requires PPC MacOS.

Which I don't have, so I have to try to run Basilisk II to find an old
copy of one of them that works on emulated 68K to access these servers
from my emulated web browser, so I can run my emulated Stuffit Expander
to get to my cross-platform-happy Newton package files, and all of this
makes me wonder what the HELL is wrong with http and MIME that we have
to reinvent the fucking wheel to share files?

And Mac people wonder why their universe is marginalized. Stop making
up your own protocols and standards, and the world might choose to share
with you.

Sorry, rant off. None of that specifically aimed at you, Mark, because
that -is- a cool pointer. I'd just like to be able to GET to it without
sacrificing my fucking firstborn to Steve Jobs.

And sorry, I'm a little drunk and about to start a flamewar, and I put
my [OT] in the header so people can filter it out, but I'm -really-
-really- frustrated by all of this. Please feel free to ignore me;
it's not about MacOS versus Windows or the like, it's about people.

If I -do- get hold of this file, I'll put its contents up on an actual
webserver that actual people running actual OS'es (including, gasp,
NewtonOS) can get to.

--
R Pickett           The people that once bestowed commands, consulships,
Hayseed Networks    legions, and all else, now meddles no more and longs