Re: [NTLK] [OT] Unlock code for NewtFTP ?

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 08:54:10 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 12/4/01 6:24 AM, the entity known as R Pickett
at emerson_at_hayseed.net conveyed the following:

> On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 01:49, Mark Rollins wrote:
>
>> I just KNOW that somewhere on one of several Hotline Servers there's a
>> collection of Newton hacks/cracks/unreleased stuff, which include
>> something called "tactile.pkg" which registers Tactile products.
>>
>> Search on http://www.tracker-tracker.com/ for "Newton", file type
>> Macintosh - it's about a 10 MB file called "newtonhacks.sit.hqx"
>
> Well.
>
> That's pretty cool to know, but in typical MacOS fashion, that
> apparently requires having a proprietary Hotline or Carracho client to
> access the proprietary servers that use proprietary protocols that are
> reinventions of existing ones.
>
> Which, apparently, requires PPC MacOS.
>
> **RANT EXCISED**

While I'm not sure about a Windoze version of Carracho, if you'd done a tiny
bit of checking you'd find that there's Windoze clients for Hotline. You
make another error by calling the Hotline protocol 'proprietary'. The
Hotline protocol is most definitely NOT proprietary -- there are a fair
number of Hotline clones floating about. I'll not respond to the statement
about this being typical of the Mac side of things, since I have no desire
to start a way-off-topic flame war.

I believe a bit of time on some search engines would be well spent.

- Eric.