Re: [NTLK] VNC Question (Is there a VNC client for Newton?)

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 11:04:05 EDT

> From: John Skinner <ndutyme_at_home.com>
>
> This question comes up from time to time on the list here.
>
> I don't think there will be a Timbuktu for Newton anytime soon.
>
> As for VNC on the Newton,... I know that I have asked this before.
>
> It seems that there once was a beta version available on the site you
> listed, but they have removed all links/references to it. (At one point
> someone found the link to the page with the beta!)
>
> It didn't work.
>
> I was wondering if it were possible to use the Java version of VNC with
> Waba on the Newton?
> (When you install VNCserver on Mac or Windows, it is accessible from a
> web browser via some Java. URL would be http://your_ip_address:5800)
>
> Sean Luke or Steve Weyer might have some input about this. Huh guys?

since you asked, I'm always glad to provide input...

the current Newton Waba VM does have Socket support, so that's a plus --
though I haven't heavily tested it. (only some small pages for port :80).

the Java VNC code I'm aware of is at:
  http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/
other implementations anyone is aware of?

any public VNC servers I could use for testing?
(one less thing for me to have to set up).

in the meanwhile, I'll might be willing to take a closer look to see if
there are any showstoppers (for porting, beyond obvious ui stuff);
performance could ultimately be the killer...

anyone else want to do the port (and I'll help with Waba issues)?

--
Steve
http://www.kagi.com/weyer/#Waba