Re: [NTLK] VNC Question (Is there a VNC client for Newton?)

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 09:42:29 EDT

> Steve Weyer wrote:
>
>> the current Newton Waba VM does have Socket support, so that's a plus --
>> though I haven't heavily tested it. (only some small pages for port :80).

here's a quick status report on possible VNC Newton client.
I ported some public Java VNC code to Waba.
it compiles and starts up, but Socket fails to connect.
(if I could get Waba version working on Windows, I'd next try on Newton;
then maybe port a Java VNC server).

however, when I tried the Java client, it also failed to connect -- both
between from PC to Mac, and from Mac to PC. (it times out waiting for some
input); when connecting from PC to Mac, I know it sees the initial
connection (connection count on Mac increments). I also tried a newer Java
client version, but it also fails (connection refused).

I know the network connections do work, since I can run the "regular" VNC
client and servers on both Mac and PC.

my next step will be to look more closely at the Java(1&2) vs. regular
versions of code to see what's different in how they establish (and
initially use) socket connection (besides the port #).

anyone else have experience with using/configuring various VNC
clients/servers who might be able to offer some suggestions on potential
problem areas?

--
Steve