Re: [NTLK] PC + Ethernet Newton setup

From: Mark Fellows (mark.fellows_at_unitedmessaging.com)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 14:26:21 EDT

> After you've got the Newt set up, run
> NCU on the PC (you can get that at unna.org), set AppleTalk in the Newt
> Prefs to Ethertalk, set NCU on the PC to listen on AppleTalk,
> start up NCU,
> Connect from the Newt, and you're talking.

NCU for Windows surprisingly <g> doesn't have an option for AppleTalk.
Here's the lowdown on using ethernet with your PC.

Wiring: You'll need to connect the two via a hub or crossover cable. (I'm
assuming you already have an ethernet card for the Newt.)

Utilities:

NCU -- Windows version ONLY supports serial connections. But you can run
the MacOS version in an Mac emulation program. Basilisk II is most popular
and definitely the cheapest. (Free) Mac NCU will connect via AppleTalk over
ethernet and makes for incredibly fast backup times. You can transfer files
between the Windows and Mac file systems using a utility such as HFV
Explorer.

Newton DIL Tester -- Freeware from Thomas Tempelmann. Supports native
ethernet connections between Windows and Newton. Allows browsing of Newton
data from PC, installing packages and copying soups from Newton to PC.
Doesn't do full backups yet.

- Mark