Re: [NTLK] Beginnings

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 06:24:24 EDT

on 15-08-2001 12:17, Gregory J. Wayman at gwayman_at_mac.com wrote:

>This is how it all begin for me, how about you?

An English friend and Apple freak (much like me) showed me his 110 and I was
awed by it especially it's HWR, so I went out and bought one, only to learn,
much to my dismay, that it did pretty good in English but didn't fare very
well in other languages.
(Mostly Dutch, a bit of French, and very rarely German)

So yes, I used Graffiti until the 120/2.0 came out and rejoiced, threw out
Graffiti and never looked back (you'll never see me holding a Palm) and
though the 130 was acquired only for it's "cool" backlight (I admit) the
2000 was another leap forward (now even accents were recognized without a
hitch) but it was sold to make way for an 2100.

From than on I can't count the amount's of 2100's and 2000UMP's I've owned,
I tend to encounter a lot of thieves that find Newton's interesting looking
gadgets, though I can't help thinking that they probably discarded them all
after discovering that they can't recharge that darn battery pack in there
:-(

This put together with Paul's fantastic system add on's like alt...rec and
Dict Mngr will probably mean that I'll be one of the last Newton users
standing, since any new great PDA will probably not be as great in first in
it's support for "foreign" languages.

Robert Benschop