[NTLK] Beginnings

From: Gregory J. Wayman (gwayman_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 18:17:02 EDT

I remember when the Original Message pad came out. I thought
they sure looked great. I remember walking into a GOODGUYS for
another reason and running across the Point of Sale stand that
housed the little gem. I can't recall if it was wired down to the stand
or affixed to a cable or what. But I do remember this inept
salesman demo-ing it to me. His main sell point was the HWR.
He scribbled his name and the Newt blurted out 'gtoplhf'. Ever
vigilante he "scrubbed" it out with a poof! (That was cool!) and
printed his name, this time the OMP proudly displayed 'gjhrued'. He
then quickly threw this misinterpreted note in the "trash can" (that
was coool!)
      Well, that was my first meeting with one my little future buddies,
not remarkable, but memorable.
       On account of the asking price at the time, I pretty much forgot
about Newtons for a while, except for an admiring glance when
seeing someone with one on the train to Macworld. Or a rare T.V.
commercial or magazine ad.
         I got a phone call from a friend one day, asking me if I would
like to have a Newton. (At this point there is dead silence on my end
of the phone as I collect my thoughts) Did he say HAVE? What ? How
much?How?What? Where?
          I said, SURE!!! Evidently a friend of a friend type thing , that
worked at Apple fished several OMP's out of the trash bin - The original
boxes
stamped "obsolete/discard "and offered them to my friend, he in
turn, one to me. They were in house units, possibly used for testing
or demos or something. It has a serial number etched in it but other than
that bone
stock.
I have never looked back since, owned a 130, then a 2000, and
then a 2100. Have loved each and every one of them. I swear, this is
going to sound funny, each has had there own personality (quirks I
guess is a better choice of words)
          This is how it all begin for me, how about you?

Greg