Re: [NTLK] Mexican Spanish TTS

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 01:04:59 EDT

>I was thinking how great it would be if some one could figure how to
>add this to the Newton Speaktext/MacinTalk pkg.

I don't this it's a reasonnable project.
First, Mexican TTS is based on Macintalk Pro (I think), while
Macintalk on NewtonOS is Macintalk 3.
Second, even if we had Macintalk Pro on NewtonOS (I wish we had, my
favorite voices are definitely Bruce and Victoria), Macintalk Pro
voices include code and we would have to port Magda and Edsel (code
names for Carlos and Catalina), which isn't an easy work.

>But, I read somewhere that we are not even supposed to have speaktext for the
>Newton, and I guess we have another source code dead end here with Apple, if a
>third party were to try, right?

Right. But even if Macintalk for Newton used to be a supported
software by Apple, there is totally no hope to get the source code
from Apple like any other Newton software and here for an additionnal
reason that this technology hasn't been discontinued.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/