Re: [NTLK] ethernet/usb adsl connection?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 10:45:37 EDT

On Thursday, August 9, 2001, at 08:08 AM, bob barkany wrote:

> I asked this question before and someone from the UK, a telecoms expert,
> cannot remember his name replied to me but my outlook xpress threw away
> all
> my mails and I cant remember anything...
>
> Q. How can I collect my mail on my Ump2000 connected to my mac over
> etherne=
> I have a usb connected ADSLmodem since a networking one costs twice
> as
> much ie =A3100 per month which is far too much for a service that only
> works
> occassionally and even then not much faster than a 56k modem.
> The guy mentioned an "ADSL bridge" or something like that

I've read a few times on this list that some people have been using
MacIP with a LocalTalk to Ethernet bridge running on the Mac. Basically,
it's a router that transforms Ethernet packets into LocalTalk packets
that can be routed to the Newton. This works like I said for LocalTalk.
Since you mention you have a USB modem, then I doubt you have LocalTalk,
so this solution might be moot... There used to be a software from Apple
that would let you turn your Mac into a router. I don't know if that
would work with your modem, but since you have Ethernet on your Mac, it
might work. I think it was called AppleTalk Internet Router. With 2 or
more Ethernet cards, a Mac was able to act as a bridge between multiple
networks. Like I said, I don't know if that would work with your modem,
and I'm not even sure of the application name, as this is off memory, as
I used that maybe 12 years ago!

But maybe others on this list will be able to shed additional light on
this?

-Laurent.