Re: [NTLK] Quoting good or bad?

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 12:58:09 EDT

At 04:57 PM 8/7/01, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
>Basicially, if there are more yes votes than no, I'll turn on the
>text-quoting filter, probably to some initially lenient
>settings. If a
>message fails the test (say, has more than 90% quoted text as
>content)
>then it will not be posted, and the sender will receive a
>detailed message
>explaining why their message was rejected, how they can prevent
>it, and
>some general netiquette on list and usenet posting in general.

I voted yes. I think the goal should be to to prevent people
from replying to a message within a digest, typing a response,
and then forgetting to trim out the rest of the digest.

I don't generally approve of strict new text/quoted text rules,
such as "must have more original than quoted text".

Something like this seems ideal:

IF the entire message is more than 20 lines
AND IF > 90% of those lines are quoted
THEN block.

Thanks,

-Jeremy