[NTLK] Quoting good or bad?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 17:52:55 EDT

Listar/eCartis (the software is changing names) has the ability to
automatically reject posts if they contain too much quoted text. Since
some people have been touching on this recently, I decided to bring it up
again. But instead of discussing something which has been discussed to
death already, I set up a poll to let people vote on what they thing
should happen. The poll is on the front page of the list site, which,
incase you've forgotten, is:

http://www.newtontalk.net

If you don't vote, your voice won't be heard, so go and vote. I haven't
decided yet when I'll close the poll.

Basicially, if there are more yes votes than no, I'll turn on the
text-quoting filter, probably to some initially lenient settings. If a
message fails the test (say, has more than 90% quoted text as content)
then it will not be posted, and the sender will receive a detailed message
explaining why their message was rejected, how they can prevent it, and
some general netiquette on list and usenet posting in general.

So, once again, go forth and vote.