Re: NTLK Ntlk : A Newtoneer in Palmville, Day 2

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 01:18:03 CDT

On 8/24/00 5:15 PM, sunder [mailto:sunder@sunder.net] wrote:

>One thing I've never understood is why MacOS always provided a lame
>calculator. Even the evil Win3.1 out of the box provided a
>scientific calculator (just pull down the view button and pick
>scientific). Ditto for the Newt. You always wind up replacing it
>with some third party calc.
>
>What's funny on the Mac is that after the PowerPC's came out, there was a
>graphing calculator that you could do so pretty cool
>graphics with, but the built in calc was still the usual four function job.

I think the Mac's calculator will FINALLY change in MacOS X. I think I
recall seeing a picture of a different one. Other than being able to
change the background pattern, I don't think the MacOS calculator desk
accessory has change a whit since 1984, at least not visually and in
terms of funcitonality. I've often wondered why it's never changed
myself. I think just about every other desk accessory has; many have
been retired or replaced or improved (the Puzzle, the Scrapbook) Seems
strange. Heck, the Newton's calculator is far better than MacOS's!

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/