Re: NTLK screen dim & hum

From: Alex Karahalios (alex@karahalios.org)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 12:39:04 CDT

on 9/9/00 9:46 PM, Ben Doughney at ben_d@clear.net.nz wrote:

> How is the backlight affected by turning it off and on? I had the idea the
> less you turn it off and on, the longer it lives, (like a fluoresent bulb)?

That may be the case, but I have never seen any mention of it in the EL
literature. You will usually see EL half brightness time measured in hours
of operation. Incidentally, the color does effect the half life. For
example, a yellow-green backlight lasts longer than a white backlight, but
the yellow-green produces more light. Also factors such as temperature
effect the half life. For example, at room temperature (20C) you would get
200 hours of operator, but at 50C you would only get 300 hours of operation.
The web site I mentioned on an earlier post
(http://www.worldproducts.com/home/wpi/ppg/ell/ell01.htm) has more technical
information if you're really itching to know.

Alex Karahalios