Re: NTLK NSBasic

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 10:55:24 CDT

jceaser wrote:

> Yes, just that. About a year, year and a half ago, I downloaded an arcive
> off the internet. Someone on this list pointed it out and several others
> also downloaded it. At least 2 people on this list were going to provide a
> mirror of the arcive. In the arcive was NSBasic with code. I assumed that
> the code was legal since many companies have been releasing ther Newton
> products to the public for odvious reasons, but from your tone I think my
> assumption must have been wrong.
>
> My second question still stands though. How can I beem a registered app
> from one newton to another? Also, how can I move a registered app from a
> card to the internal memory? When I highlight an app and go to the Extras
> route menue, the beem icon option is not present. Also, when I try to move
> the app to another store, I am told that I can't.

Indeed, NSBasic is still a supported and sold product, see
<http://www.nsbasic.com/>.

There is a hidden attribute bit in NOS that tells if a given package can
be copied/beamed or not. Many commercial applications come with this bit
set, so, as a result, you can't copy them to another store, or beam them
to another MessagePad. The only way to go is to re-install from the
original disk/package.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com