Re: NTLK Strange problems with Geocities & QuickNewts...

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 10:37:11 CDT

Josh_Burker@misd.wednet.edu wrote:

> newtontalk@planetnewton.com writes:
> >Chris Browder wrote:
> >>
> >> Laurent - I don't have OS 9... :(
> >> --
> >
> >Chris,
> >
> >I've seen on a few sites how to "hack" the iTools installer to be able
> >to install the tools on pre-MacOS 9 systems. Check MacFixit or
> >Macintouch.
>
> You might need to create the account on an OS 9 Mac, as Apple's changed
> the web site part of the enrollment so you can't "hack" a new account from
> anything less than an OS 9 Mac.
>
> I created an account from my OS 9 Mac for a teacher at the school where I
> work, then I simply copied the AppleShare extension from my Mac to hers
> (running 7.6.1). Voila, you can access your iDisk from a 7.6.1 Mac.
>
> However, it's unlikely that the web page part will work with anything less
> than OS 9 as they are using WebObjects, which very well might require
> parts of OS 9 to really work correctly.

Hmmm, they could check for the OS version and block you there, but I've
been doing some WebObjects programming and I can tell that there is
nothing in WO that would require you, as the client, to have OS 9. Heck,
you can even access WO apps from an NT box, Solaris whatever. WO just
generates HTML pages dynamically, so it works with any browser,
basically.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com