Re: NTLK Re: Wireless Network(Proxim Question

From: negril (negril@internect.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 21:06:54 EDT

Sorry for the delay I was out of the country on business.

At 10:48 AM 4/9/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I have just a couple more questions negril,
>
> you wrote:
> >At work and when travelling I stick a Sony VAIO
> >505 laptop fitted with a PC wireless card on to whatever network I am near
> >to act as the bridge. If its the corporate LAN, I will use a USB to
> >Ethernet device on the laptop.
>
>Does the Sony require any special software other than the Proxin drivers to
>allow it to share the network access with the Newton?

I use SyGate on the Laptop for IP forwarding. I am sure any other router
software would work as well.

>Also what kind of battery life do you get with the Symphony card in
>place(assuming moderate use)?

The battery life experience is similar to the previous modem I was using, a
Psion Gold card). If you believe in manufacturer specs they are around :
300mA xmit, 150mA receive, 2mA sleep.

Hope this helps.,

>Thanks
>tmccain