Re: NTLK Message Pad 120

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 03:14:57 EDT

On 4/20/2000 6:41 AM, Michael J. Hussmann
[mailto:michael.hu@macmagazin.de] wrote:

>Daniel Mogford (d_mogford@one.net.au) wrote:
>
>> I own a message pad 120 bought second hand about three or four years ago...
>> it has been in the draw for a while (since I gave up on the writing
>> recognition). Well, the Palm III has lost its gloss, and a few hours mucking
>> around with the recogniser settings has yielded astonishingly good results.
>> Since last use, however, main AND backup batteries had died and it is back
>> to OS 1.something.... How can I get it back to v2.something??
>
>The NOS 2.0 upgrade was a hardware affair (switching the ROM), so there
>is no way a version 2.0 MP 120 could revert back to 1.3. Are you sure it
>was a NOS 2.0 version and that it's the same MessagePad?
>

>Michael J. Hussmann

Michael is correct. And if you think your 120 with 1.x's recognition is
good, you'll be shocked at how much better a machine with OS 2.x such as
a 130, 2000, 2100 (or even a hardware-upgraded-to-2.0 MP120) is.
Especially the new Apple-created print recognizer instead of the
Paragraph cursive recognizer the 1.x Newton's came with (and that the 2.x
Newtons still have too).

I notice that Microsoft's new PocketPC OS (WinCE renamed) released
yesterday comes with Paragraph's (Vadim's) handwriting recognizer -- the
same one the Newton first came out with and was lambasted for, and the
same one you are using on your 120 (although I'm sure it's probably
improved since then....it's been a few years. Looks like it supports
printed recognition, for example, not just the cursive the OMP did. The
later MP's (1.3OS) had printed character support, sort of....) Check out
PenComputing.com's "scoop on PocketPC".

I've used all Newton models, I have a Palm IIIx...it may be time for me
to buy a new eToy and try one of the new PocketPCs.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!