Re: NTLK RE: Pretec Card Problem

From: Khaled M. Z. Tewfik (khaledt@mac.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 08:07:00 EDT

Gary wrote:
------------------
>Hi Khaled,
>
>The place you want to press (in potrait mode with the Apple logo at the
>bottom of the unit) is approximately 1 inch up from the bottom edge of the
>screen and approximately 1/8 to 1/4 inch away from the left-hand edge of the
>screen. ASCII graphic (monospaced font) follows:
>
>+""---------------+
>| O Newton Tech.. |
>| +-------------+ |]
>| | | |
>| | | |
>| | | |
>| | | |
>| | | |
>| | | |
>| | | |
| | | |
| | X <--Press | |
| | Here! | |
| +-------------+ |
| O |
|0 |
+-----------------+

So the procedure is:

1. Press on the indicated spot and hold the stylus down.
2. While holding the stylus down on the spot, insert the card.

If the card is recognized as valid and contains packages, you will get a
dialogue box asking if you want to
activate the packages on this card. Tap
the "No" button.

If you don't get this message, the card may be damaged and, essentially,
toast. Try to format it in either a laptop or a router (Cisco, Banyan,
etc.). If you are using Windows, you will have to get the TFFS (True Flash
File System) system software to format the card.

Good Luck, my friend!

Regards,

Gary

------------------
Thanks Gary. But again nothing worked. I was able to locate the right spot. When inserting my good 4Mb card while holding my stylus on the spot I do get the "do you want to activate packages" question. But when doing the same with the corrupt Pretec card I only get the "this unformated card is write protected..." message.

So I guess we have tried them all.

The one clear thing I have learned out of this experience is how healthy and caring is the Newton community. Many have helped me try to solve my problem. Every time I would post signaling my defeat and giving up on my card I would get more advise from more Newton friends.

Alas, my Pretec card RIP, I announce my Newton guilty as charged.

Dr. Khaled M. Tewfik,
Saudi Arabia

\\ /,
'( Newton Technology