NTLK Re: Heap vs. Storage

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox@peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 12:58:19 EDT

* "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com> on Tue, 04 Apr 2000
| This is all off memory, so I could be wrong. On a MP2100, there is 8MB
| ROM and 8MB DRAM. Of this 8MB of DRAM, half goes for storage, and half is
| considered as heap.

Almost. NOS 2.x machines have an 8MB ROM, containing the OS image and
built-in packages. All have varying quantities of flash RAM for storage:
2MB in the MP120[1] and MP130, 4MB in the MP2000 and MP2100 and eMate 300.
The MP120 has 512K of SRAM for heap, the MP130 has 1MB SRAM for heap. The
MP2000 and eMate 300 have 1MB DRAM for heap, and the MP2100 has 4MB DRAM
for heap. The "upgraded" MP2000 and eMate 300 have 4MB DRAM for heap, same
as the MP2100.

NOS 1.x machines split SRAM for heap and storage in varying ratios
depending on model and OS version.

[1] There is a version of the MP120 which is basically an improved MP110.
It has a ROM socket, so it can run NOS 2.0, and 50% more memory, 1MB SRAM
for storage and 512K SRAM for heap. The production run of this model was
very small, and most (all?) were German releases.

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should

****************************************** This NewtonTalk Message brought to you by:

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!