Re: NTLK Heap vs. Storage

From: Michael Strange (mstrange@americainter.net)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 12:23:31 EDT

Hi,
I am not sure of this...is this correct?

From: Laurent Daudelin <laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com>
> This is all off memory, so I could be wrong. On a MP2100, there is 8MB
> ROM and 8MB DRAM. Of this 8MB of DRAM, half
> goes for storage, and half is considered as heap. Of the half considered
> heap, the system grabs most of it, so
> that when you reset a MP2100 with only the
> bundled application loading, you end up with a little bit more than
> 400K. Same thing happens on a MP2000, except
> the numbers are smaller, since the MP2000 has only 4MB DRAM.

I have pulled my cards, and done a reset without activating...here is what I
get on my UMP2k

Heap: Free: 155k System: 845k for a total of 1000k
Storage: Available: 3523k, So I guess that the system uses 477k for a total
of 4000k

Now, granted I can only guess that is correct... but I get about 159188 on
the heap meter with AVI, so I divided by 1024 to get the 155k number, and
subtracted from 1000 for the amount used by the system.

So, If the sytem only uses 845k of heap, why would that be smaller with the
upgrade? I would expect it to jump up to 3155 free. Is that not true?
Does the system really grab all it can?

I would check the same on my 120 and 130, but have to wait until I get home.

Michael

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!