Re: NTLK Heap vs. Storage

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 10:52:00 EDT

Phil Harriman wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm a loyal user of my MP2K, but relatively new to the list, and from
reading the postings here I'm realizing
how little I actually know about my Newt.

> I'm confsed about how the Newton uses memory. I gather from what I
read here that the Newton has separate memory
for processing (heap) and storage. Is this accurate? Memory Info tells
me that I have 912K of system RAM
installed. This is the heap, right?

> I've read a lot of messages that refer to utilities that freeze or
thaw applications. What does this do? I don't
have any such utility installed, and as far as I can tell I've never
needed to do this. Is there a memory FAQ that
I can read to learn more about this?

This is all off memory, so I could be wrong. On a MP2100, there is 8MB
ROM and 8MB DRAM. Of this 8MB of DRAM, half
goes for storage, and half is considered as heap. Of the half considered
heap, the system grabs most of it, so
that when you reset a MP2100 with only the
bundled application loading, you end up with a little bit more than
400K. Same thing happens on a MP2000, except
the numbers are smaller, since the MP2000 has only 4MB DRAM.

Freezing is like removing the package, as far as the OS is concerned,
but the package is still "physically" on the
store. That's because any single package that is installed will eat a
little bit of memory, even when not used.
When you freeze it, that memory is no
longer used.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com
           ********** Usual disclaimers apply **********

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!