RE: NTLK Re : The Newton's Sucessor

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 00:01:30 EDT

Yes, I also bumped up a 386 (as well as 286's and my
Celleron 500 is running comfortably at 623...it was
unreliable at 625, but runs smoothly at 623)I've even
bumped up an old LCII and a IIsi Macs...But I ran into
instabilities once I went abote 10% on almost every
Mac overclock I attempted. I was able to aleviate this
by implementing a memory buffer circuit. With this, I
was able to clock these old macs to 3-4 times their
rated speeds...The reason is the memory mapping
technique that Apple uses. I'm no programmer, but I
heard from a programmer that Apple's map their memory
differently than almost any other computer...don't
know the specifics, but because the ram was soldered
to the board, you couldn't overclock without some kind
of buffer circuit for the memory. All of the intel
machines I overclocked needed faster RAM to get good
results. My Celeron is running CAS 3/133 ram...it
wouldn't run with the 100 ram! I suspect that in a way
you are correct, in that it may not affect the Newt
the same way, but I for one wouldn't attempt an
overclock without some thourough reverse engineering
to assure that the internal support components can
accomodate the increased clock speed! Otherwise, you
may end up having some timing problems with the main
CPU...
Of course, my hardware knowledge is at the level of
hobbiest, so I may be completly off base here due to
my lack of formal trainnig...this is just my trial and
error experience talking here!
Ed (walking in waters I wasn't trained in)
web/gadget guru

--- Jon Shurtleff <jon.shurtleff@munich.netsurf.de>