NTLK RE: The Newton's successor?

From: Dr. Peter Rand (h9752220@botanix.wu-wien.ac.at)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 03:07:58 EDT

Since my Newton's still going strong, I'm not looking for a successor, but I'm always interested in machines which offer new/additional capabilities. For example, since the Newton does not fit in my jacket pocket, I got a Psion Revo in order to always have contacts and agenda info with me. The Revo also has very high-quality spreadsheet, word-processing and database programs which are builtin, and fantastic desktop sync capabilities, so I'm very happy with the Newton-Revo combination.

The new Rapier generation of PocketPCs offer color web-browsing, MP3 capabilities, an audio book reader and a couple of other features that neither Newton nor Revo offer. Am I interested - yes! I was underwhelmed by the WinCE 2.1 device I tested (a Casio E-105), but Rapier is supposed to be a major improvement. If all goes well, I should be getting one of the new Compaq PocketPCs running Rapier to test in the next month or two. If there's any interest, I'd be glad to post my impressions of the unit to this list (and apologize in advance for the mental anguish this may cause those who hate seeing non-Newton posts).

Peter

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!