RE: NTLK Re : The Newton's Sucessor

From: Jon Shurtleff (jon.shurtleff@munich.netsurf.de)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 19:31:32 EST

I don't think the upgrade board does anything but overclock the processor.
The glue chips on the board are probably just to handle the switching
between the two crystals by way of the power switch. My experience doesn't
match what you've said. I've been overclocking computers for years and you
rarely run into memory problems until you hit much higher overclock rates
than 2-5%. I remember bumping a 386 16 to 20Mhz with no problems. It would
almost run reliably at 24Mhz and I've done a lot of similar overclocks.
Years ago I doubled the speed of a Trash 80 Model 100 (I had to replace the
processor and the 600ns ROM but nothing else) and had an engineer on a
support forum for the machine kindly explain that what I had done was
impossible because of various component specs. I guess they thought I was
lying but I offered to have them see for themselves since some of them lived
within a reasonable drive but no one took me up on it. This 'impossible'
machine ran happily for many moons until it was retired to my 'museum',
though I still pull it out once in a while just to play with it. I think
you could probably just swap out the crystal in the Newt but you WOULD lose
the serial functionality (and ethernet and possibly modem, depending on the
devices used) and have squeeky sound. That's what's cool about the Pix
upgrade.

Jon.