Re: NTLK Re: wireless

From: Jeremy Shepherd (jbond@netcom.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 01:52:58 EST

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 NewtonTalk wrote:
>I know that AT&T wireless USED to offer CDPD, do they
>still?

They faxed me an application for service. They have an elaborate marketing web site which pushes CDPD heavily, including equipment, application notes, coverage maps, and pricing. Yes, I believe they still do offer CDPD.

>Usually it's the LEC that does this (although
>AT&T did but in limited market areas...usually they
>just resold the LEC CDPD)

Not the LEC-the local cellular carrier. In my case Cellular One AKA Bay Area Cellular Telephone Company. They advertise CDPD but refer you to AT&T Wireless for additional information including ordering.

>What you might want to look into is try and purchase
>the modem from AT&T or from someone like "everything
>wireless" and try and get service at the same time you
>puuchase the modem. that way they will usually give
>you a break on the purchase price of the modem for a 1
>year commitment on the service.

AT&T Wireless charges $30 more for the modem than Outpost. Com (née Cyberian Outpost). There is no "break" for a one-year commitment-they REQUIRE at least a one-year commitment and do not sell service on a month-to-month basis.

Nice try but no prize, Mr. Web/Gadget Guru.

- Jeremy
Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD | I never take any notice of what common people
San Francisco, CA | say, and I never interfere with what charming
Internet: jbond@netcom.com | people do. If a personality fascinates me,
Phone: 415-929-0297 | whatever mode of expression that personality
                           | selects is absolutely delightful to me.
                           | -Oscar Wilde, THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!