Re: NTLK Brainwipe ­ More Questions

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 14:28:04 EST

Chuck Lehman wrote:

> Thanks to Kenny Song and Laurent Daudelin for their response to my earlier
> question regarding should I do a brainwipe on my MP 2100. I still need to
> know the steps of the procedure. I should do it with the memory cards remove
> and then restore just the internal?
>
> I read that the I should do a restore of my soups from the backup and
> reinstall the packages. What about the System Information soup? For never
> doing this before it sure sounds scary. Can anyone give me some "hand
> holding" and comfort before I take this big step?

First, make a full backup of the internal store. If you don't have any
information, except packages, on your card, remove it before performing the
backup. You'll same time and prevent any communication problem. To do a full
backup, make sure that, before you load NCU, you go in the backups folder and
move any file there out of the folder. I did create a folder in the NCU folder
and named it "Previous Backups". Whenever I want to do a backup, I move the
files in the backup folder used by NCU to this folder. Once you done a full
backup, do what I just explained and perform another backup. Better be safe than
sorry.

Then, if your card is still inserted because you backed it up, remove it. Switch
the ON-OFF switch down and hold it down while you press the "Reset" button on
the back. Hold both until you see a message on the screen that asks if you
really want to erase the internal store/memory. The actual wording may vary, but
that's something like that. You can then release both the switch and the reset
button. Tap Yes. Wait until the unit restart or present a dialog with a restart
button.

Like I said in a previous message this week, not restoring the system soup would
be a good thing, from time to time, specially if you've never trashed it. You
need to know that if you don't restore it, you will have to set a lot of
preferences, like your handwriting recognition preferences, most application
preferences and maybe a couple of things I forget. You might also have to
configure your email settings if you're using Enroute, since Enroute save some
configuration info in the first entry of the system soup. Finally, you may have
to re-enter the registration for some applications.

So, it's nothing to be afraid of, you just need to know what you can expect. But
nothing would be broken irremediably. At first, it will be probably more
annoying than anything else.

Good luck!

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com
           ********** Usual disclaimers apply **********

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!